As you know one of my best girlfriends (in my head) Mother Love is a diabetic, but she isn’t the only celebrity with the disease. Halle Berry has always been transparent about her diabetes while it took some time for Paula Deen to finally admit it publicly. One of my favorite actors, Tom Hanks, recently announced that he has Type 2 diabetes; something he attributes to losing and gaining weight for movie roles.
Here is a list I’ve compiled of some of my favorite celebs with diabetes:
- I just loved Paul Sorvino in The Goodfellas. He has Type 2 and credits his daughter, Mira, for helping him get it under control.
- Aren’t you going to miss Randy Jackson on American Idol? I sure am.
- Sherri Shepherd sure has lost a lot of weight and is managing her diabetes well.
- The comedian and game show host Drew Carey was able to stop taking medication after losing 80 pounds.
- One of my favorite “every women” Chaka Khan is a diabetic who keeps a mostly vegan diet to maintain a 60-pound weight loss as well as manage her diabetes.
- Oh Tracy Morgan was so funny on 30 Rock, but in the not-so distant past he neglected to mind his diabetes.
- Author Anne Rice (The Vampire Diaries) lost over 100 pounds to control her diabetes.
- I love singer Angie Stone’s voice but I really love that she is a diabetes spokesperson who advocates testing in the African American community.
- Ben Vereen is an awesome actor and dancer but now he’s a diabetes activist and spokesperson.
- My oldest boy looks a lot like one of my favorite actors Anthony Anderson, who was diagnosed with diabetes 10 years ago. He and Miss Angie Stone are dedicated spokespeople for Fearless African-Americans Connected and Empowered (F.A.C.E.) Diabetes initiative.
I’m not trying to make them reluctant role models or the poster children for diabetes, but I think it is encouraging to know which famous people have the disease, and are managing it. I think knowing that others have had the challenge makes my journey easier.
Take care of yourself!